Pages

09 March, 2005

Wie viele Erdteile gibt es in der Weldt?

When trying to teach a group of people another language, you have to begin with a subject that everyone knows and can agree on.  So my teacher asked the class, "How many continents are there in the world?"

Surprisingly, this is not one of those subjects.

"Seven," I answer, proud that I not only understood the question but also knew both the answer and how to say it.  She looked at me like I was stupid and waited for someone else to say the correct answer.  Apparently when you are in Germany, there are only five continents. 

North and South America are only one continent because they are clearly connected by a small strand of hair.  Europe and Asia remain separate despite the dozens of nations that don't know if they are in Europe, Asia, or both.  And Antarctica?  Where's Antarctica?

No comments:

Post a Comment